Thursday, March 14, 2013

Stopping Development of WinRM for Ruby


UPDATE: Paul Morton has graciously volunteered to take over the helm and continue development on WinRM. I hope to be involved again in the future but Paul has been a great help in the past and I have a great deal of faith in his ability to move WinRM forward. Here's a link to the new repository: https://github.com/WinRb/WinRM


It's with much reluctance that I announce the end of development for the Ruby WinRM gem. It's always hard to say goodbye to a project especially one like WinRM. I've invested countless hours on it and it has put me in touch with some very great people in the Ruby and Open Source communities. I also had the privilege to work directly with some of the Microsoft staff early on when I was trying to figure out the protocol and they were a complete class act. It made this life-long UNIX admin eat his words (at least for a short while).

The reason for my departure from the project is simply that I no longer have access to all of the infrastructure for testing. There are a lot of issues that come in that I no longer have the means to test easily. When I was employed with the State of North Dakota we actually used the code so it was easy to test fixes that came in. I also had some excellent Beta testers that caught most issues, thanks +Robert Hart.

The code will remain on Github at https://github.com/zenchild/WinRM and it is licensed under the Apache 2.0 license so have at it. If you have questions about the code or want to pay me a handsome sum for extending it please reach out.

Until then -  Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for pushing this along as long as you did Dan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome. I need to do an update at the top of this post but Paul Morton has graciously volunteered to take up the helm and continue development of WinRM. Expect good things from Paul. He knows the source as well as I do.

      New repo: https://github.com/WinRb/WinRM

      Cheers,

      Dan

      Delete